LASIK is an extremely safe and popular surgical procedure to treat vision problems, such as myopia, hyperemia, and astigmatism. Nearly 96% of people have successfully gotten desired eye vision with minimal side effects.
Although LASIK was discovered two decades ago, due to its added advantages, people can immediately see improved eye vision. However, the result may vary depending on the amount of correction you need. Apart from this, other factors, such as the choice of your eye surgeon in New York and care taken during the recovery time, also play an important role in getting the desired vision.
If you don’t want to live with those big glasses or frustrating contact lenses, you can choose to undergo LASIK eye surgery. Before you get yourself involved in the procedure, however, it is important to know what to expect after the laser eye surgery. With this information, you’ll be well prepared and will not feel panic if you notice any minor side effects, such as irritation, dry eyes, and blurred vision.
Here is what you can expect after your LASIK eye surgery!
Well, in most cases, people can recover quickly after their laser eye surgery and can return to regular life within a day or two. However, healing may take a little longer, usually 3-6 months, which may vary from one patient to another. Knowing what to expect during a recovery period can help with making the right choices and eventually speed up healing without any complications.
In this post, we have explained about things you may experience in the days, weeks and months after LASIK eye surgery.
Recovery period: Day one
- Once the effects of anesthesia wear off, you may experience some discomfort after your laser eye surgery.
- It is normal to feel an itching or burning sensation in your eyes post LASIK eye surgery. Also, your eye surgeon may prescribe you a pain reliever.
- Make sure you get a friend or family member with you on the day of your eye surgery to drive you home safely. Once you reach home, it is recommended to give your eyes rest for 2-4 hours and to not get involved in any strenuous activities.
- The next day after LASIK, you can get back to the office. However, make sure you protect your eyes by using sunglasses whenever you go outside during the day time. On the other hand, for nighttime, you should always wear eye shields while sleeping.
- You may also experience blurred vision, dryness, sensitivity to light and puffy eyes after your eye surgery, all of which will fade off within a few days.
Recovery period: First month (1st Month)
By now, you can usually get involved in strenuous activities like sports and gyming. However, it is advisable to wear sports goggles until your eyes heal completely.
Recovery period: 3-6 months
At this time, your eyes will continue to heal and your vision will improve further. Make sure you’re regularly attending follow-up appointments with your eye surgeon and religiously follow your doctor’s instructions for a healthy and smooth recovery.
The final thought
You can recover quickly after your LASIK eye surgery with mild side effects that will diminish within a few days. But if you experience severe pain post-laser eye surgery, then you should immediately visit your eye surgeon.